Monday, May 26, 2008

Peppermint Crisp Fridge Tart


I spent the whole day in the kitchen on Saturday baking a few of my favourite desserts. These included Peppermint Crisp Fridge Tart and a decadent chocolate cake layered with a melt-in-your-mouth chocolate mousse and then draped in chocolate ganache. I forgot to buy flour for the cake so I used a cake mix that I had in the cupboard (very disappointing). I really enjoyed the peppermint crisp fridge tart a South African favourite and a big hit in my family. I don't need a recipe for this one cause I've been making it for years. For those of you South Africans who don't have the recipe (shame on you) I have decided to post it.

Here is the recipe:

500ml fresh cream or any other whipping cream
1 can Caramel Treat
3 bars of Peppermint Crisp Chocolate (grated or chopped into small pieces)
1 pack Tennis Biscuits
Peppermint extract (optional)


  1. Whip cream until stiff
  2. Gently fold in the caramel and two thirds of the peppermint crisp chocolate to combine.
    Add a few drops of peppermint extract if you like a stronger peppermint flavour. I add just 2 or three cause I don't like it to be too over powering.
  3. Layer tennis biscuits at the bottom of a square or rectangular dish about the size of an oven tray. (Use a smaller dish if you want the dessert to be thicker)
  4. Spoon the cream mixture over the tennis biscuits.
  5. Sprinkle the remaining chocolate over to garnish.
  6. Leave in the fridge to set for a few hours.
Grab a plate and a few friends and enjoy!


Notes:

Some people like to use 250ml cream but I find that the dessert is too rich and sweet for me. If you don't like you desserts rich then you can also use a light whipping cream.


Tennis Biscuits




The tennis biscuits can be replaced with any digestive biscuits. I like to put all my tennis biscuits at the bottom of the dessert but you can also layer it alternating a layer of biscuits and a layer of the cream finishing off with a cream layer. For this you might need another packet of tennis biscits. I also like to crush my biscuits and add a little melted butter to form a "crust" at the botton of the dessert. Anyway you make it is still going to be delicious.

Caramel Treat



Known to others as Dulce de Leche

If you can't get your hands on Caramel treat then you can make your own using condensed milk. Place an unopend can of condensed milk (375g) in a pot. Cover with water and boil for 3 hours topping with hot water whenever necessary. I also like to turn the can over every 30 minutes to ensure that the milk cooks evenly. You would need to be extra careful to prevent burns. Turn off the stove after 3 hours and leave the tin to cool completely in the pot before opening.

Peppermint Crisp Chocolate




Rumour has it that Nestle only distributes Peppermint Crisp chocolate in South Africa and Australia.If you can't get your hands on peppermint crisp chocolate use any other chocolate with mint toffee pieces (mint cracknel) could be used.

No comments: