Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Dessert Express


Last night I was really wishing for a good treat but being so tired from all the late nights I decided that I need a quick and easy treat that I could enjoy. I thought about what I was wishing for.....something with nuts and chocolate. I thought about making the pecan slices that my sister-in-law goes gaga over but then that would require too much effort for my tired self. I then thought about a nice chocolate souffle but then that would require too much mixing and whipping.

Then out of the blues I thought I'd make my chocolate "rocks" or as many might call it nut clusters. I love nuts and I love chocolate so this would be the perfect treat requiring almost no time or effort (and just one bowl to wash....yay).



The next part was deciding which nuts and which chocolate. I love pecans, hazelnuts, Brazil nuts....and so on and so on...but I was looking for just the right taste that would satisfy my deep desire for something sweet. How could I forget....macadamia nuts. I love macadamia nuts because of their smooth, sweet and rich flavour. And did you know that they are healthy for you too.


Originally from Australia these exotic nuts are considered delicacies around the world and whats more they go well with just about anything...chocolate, ice-cream, cookies, nougat (I love Sally Williams)....I can go on and on.



I didn't need a recipe for this simple treat just some chocolate and nuts. I settled for milk chocolate. I normally would buy the best chocolate I can get my hands on for a treat like this but I wasn't really fussy so I grabbed the first things my eyes settled on. I used 100g each of chocolate and nuts.

I just melted the chocolate, threw in the nuts and dropped spoonfuls onto greaseproof paper to set into the beautiful nut clusters that I love. You could add glace ginger or chopped glace cherries if you'd like to add a little more pizazz.

While I sat down to enjoy my treat I started thinking about other quick and easy treats that I've enjoyed over the years. Treats that I hadn't thought about until that very moment. I will share with you a few of my favourites. All of these don't really require a recipe just some eye-balling.

Chocolate covered marshmallow sandwiches

Oh boy I remember making these growing up. The perfect treat that is oh so kid friendly. I don't know if you can get Marie biscuits around the world but if you can't get your hands on any you can use any plain biscuits or digestive biscuits.

What you need:

Marie biscuits
Marshmallows
Chocolate (melted - the amount you need would depend on how many sandwiches you making)

What you need to do:

Place a marshmallow between 2 biscuits. Place in the microwave for just a few seconds. Dip in the marshmallow sandwich into the melted chocolate. You can dip the entire sandwich or just the top half. Refrigerate until chocolate sets.

See quick, easy and delicious

Quick and Easy chocolate mousse

What you need:

1 package chocolate instant pudding
1 can condensed milk
1 cup cold water
1 cup fresh cream or whipping cream

What you need to do:

Whip the cream until stiff and fluffy and set aside. If you using fresh cream you need to take care cause too much whipping and the cream will curdle.

In a separate bowl mix together the pudding, condensed milk and water.

Fold in whipped cream.

Spoon into serving dishes and leave in fridge to set.


No bake cake

What you need:

1 package Tennis biscuits 0r digestive biscuits
1 vanilla instant pudding
Milk

Topping:

200g chocolate (chopped)
100g fresh cream

Prepare the topping first:

Microwave chocolate in and cream together in a microwave for a few minutes until chocolate has melted. After 30 seconds remove the bowl and stir. You would need to do this until the chocolate has melted. Remove from microwave and stir to incorporate the milk and chocolate. Set aside to cool to room temperature.

Prepare the pudding according to the package directions.

Place a single layer of biscuits at the bottom of a deep tray or Pyrex dish. Spread half of the prepared pudding over the biscuits. Top the pudding with another single layer of biscuits

Pour the chocolate topping over the biscuits.

Leave in fridge to set.

I have lots more but I'll leave you with these for now. All of these desserts take less than 30 minutes to prepare so they are excellent for when you are short on time (and energy). I haven't made these recently so I don't have any pictures but will post some soon. Watch this space for more quick and easy delicious desserts.

No comments: